CCOEs involve bringing the best set of experts from across the organization to establish the best cloud practices that are followed by the rest of the organization.
Composition of the CCOE Team
The group should include people from
Leadership : To provide legitimacy or make the journey to the cloud worthy for sponsorship and approval from the board, the CCOE should include people from leadership like the VP of the organization, the CTO, CFO, the CIO and other top management people.
Operations : To provide advice on different core processes and functions and how the journey to the cloud would impact at the operations level, you need to have people from operations
Infrastructure : Ideally you need to include an IT professional who is acquainted with how the infrastructure is currently supporting the applications, the levels of inventory, the dependencies and can guide which cloud model IAAS, PAAS, SAAS and private, public or hybrid cloud would best support the company objectives
Security : Cybersecurity professional who is acquainted with every aspect of the security of networks, applications, storage and authentication needs to be included
Applications management : Professional who is handling the application portfolio of your organization and is acquainted with dependencies, OS, availability, latency and other attributes of your applications needs to be included
The selection criteria of the team members include assessing the technical and non-technical skills of the team through interviews, questionnaires and others
For example; A CCOE team has been shown below
Team CCOE comprising of
- IT manager
- IT financial manager
- Operations manager
- Systems architect
- Application developer
- Systems administrator
- Database administrator
- Network engineer
The group generally addresses the three critical elements of cloud
– Financial management
– Security and Compliance
Defining the team's objectives and responsibilities
Once selected, the team’s objectives and responsibilities need to be defined. The key tasks of a CCOE team include setting
- Best methods and practices for visibility and control
- Best methods and practices for optimization of cloud portfolio (Performance)
- Best methods and practices for automation and governance including cost governance (Governance)
- Best methods and practices for business integration (Orchestration)
- Best methods and practices for training personnel on cloud skills and setting organization-wide policies for cloud adoption(Upskilling)
- Best practices and methods for assisting the cloud providers in framing the cloud solution and managing contract negotiation, contract formation, cloud security and compliance risk management and vendor management (Brokerage)
- Mechanisms to support the cloud community
- Secure coding repositories and communities of practice for developers
Establish protocols for messaging and communication
Establishing protocols for messaging and communication of the cloud practices adopted or the policies decided by the team is an integral function of the CCOE team. Create bite-sized communication messages which are easy to understand.
Communicating the launch of CCOE to the pivotal persons in the organizations
The CCOE launch needs to be communicated across the organisation. The communication must be designed aligned to the stakeholder’s group
- For Business Unit Leaders- Conduct one on one discussion with each business unit head and apprise them of the benefits of CCOE for their unit
- Cloud COE Advisory Council- Provide CCOE benefits to the business needs and strategy
- Developer- Mention the CCOE objectives and the support that would be required from the developers. Apprise the developers of the resources they would have access to for providing support. Communicate the changes, if any, to be induced in the workflow.
You also need to check whether the
- Stakeholder groups require any foundational knowledge to decipher your messages? If yes, you might want to simplify them.
- Whether your message contains certain region-specific metaphors or examples that may not apply to all members of the group?
- Whether your message help draw a picture of what the CCOE launch means for the specific stakeholder group?
Deciding the channels for messaging and communication
You need to decide the channels for messaging and communication of the CCOE team and the CCOE team with the organization. The channels can be one-way like
- Mobile applications and other
- A two-way interactive mode like
- Online chats
- Video conference
Periodic report generation and brainstorming
The performance of the CCOE team must be assessed on well-defined metrics set by the CCOE team through its internal discussion. Periodic reports on performance need to be generated to assess the progress of the CCOE team’s work and progress of the journey to the cloud.
A well formed and properly screened CCOE team can make the organization cloud savvy alongwith smoothening the journey to the cloud and bringing in policies that can negate any failover.