To improve the cloud experience, it is necessary to integrate workloads, applications, data sources to the cloud at will, along with driving cross-cloud compatibility. For integrating any infrastructure, workloads or data sources to the cloud, Cloud APIs are mandatory. Cloud APIs help synchronize system infrastructure on the cloud with rewarding features from different service providers on the cloud. There are many ways to integrate cloud APIs, each having its component requirements. The question that arises is which is the best cloud API model that can be used for integration. There are four areas where the cloud needs to integrate with another platform or provider. The APIs have been grouped accordingly
- Paas APIs (Service level) : These are also known as platform as a service APIs. They are designed to improve access and functionality in any cloud environment.
- IAAS APIs (infrastructure level) : It helps in access and control of infrastructure level cloud resources.
- SAAS APIs (application level) : These are also known as Software as a service APIs. It helps in establishing connections between the cloud and IT infrastructure with the application layer.
- Cross-platform APIs : These APIs help cloud tenants access resources from not just their cloud provider but from other providers as well.
Integration USE Cases for these APIs
- PAAS APIs- This APIs help in integration with various databases, notification and alerting systems etc.
- IAAS APIs- For automated provisioning and de-provisioning of cloud resources, for network and workload management
- SAAS APIs- For integrating ERP and CRM applications with your cloud environment
- Cross-platform APIs- For integrating with different cloud providers
For integrating the cloud API with your cloud infrastructure
- The develop scripts the code
- This code calls the Cloud provider’s API according to well-defined request parameters and arguments for requesting the call (context-based call)
- The cloud API of the provider returns the response
- The response is checked and confirmed
- The APIs use credentials of the applications for identifying the applications which are calling
- The process is secured with authorization and client and application-specific API keys
Certain essentials need to be kept in mind before jumping down to integrate APIs for attaining versatility on cloud
- You need to select the right platform so that your cloud API is compatible with it and can easily work with the applications.
- You need to ensure that the security and authorization protocols of the APIs are enforced
- You need to check the ease of the data import and export with your API
- You need to check the health of the third-party apps and systems you are connecting to.
- You need to implement an API management platform if you have many cloud APIs to manage.
API management platform
The platform will provide :
(a) An API gateway for integration and for ensuring an end-to-end security of the apps, systems, IoT and others
(b) A developer portal for APIs which will help the developer get acquainted with the API documentation, learn about the APIs that are available and interact through test calls
(c) An administrative interface for configuring systems, monitoring the API gateway and the developers’ portal
(d) Runtime analytics dashboard for measuring the resources and API consumption and for implementing run-time policies for transactions
Cloud APIs are a great way to make cloud platform a delightful, multi-purpose experience. It is only that integrating the APIs based on the usage requirements of the company needs certain right efforts. Well, if you are stuck with how to integrate various Cloud APIs for multiple business and service uses, we are just a call away.