Let us split the essence that we call human so that we can know what we wanted to actually induce in machines.
The Human Essence to be Mimicked
– Understanding (having a logical sense of deducing)
– Perceptual sense
– Improvising etc
What is Artificial Intelligence?
Artificial Intelligence is the intelligence induced in machines so that they can perform the tasks requiring an advanced level of human intelligence. Basically, the machines are trained through algorithms to mimic human action.
Reputed Definitions of AI
1. According to DataRobot CEO Jeremy Achin-“AI is a computer system able to perform tasks that ordinarily require human intelligence… Many of these artificial intelligence systems are powered by machine learning, some of them are powered by deep learning and some of them are powered by very boring things like rules.”
2. Brittanica defines Artificial Intelligence as “The ability of a digital computer or computer-controlled robot to perform tasks commonly associated with intelligent beings. The term is frequently applied to the project of developing systems endowed with the intellectual processes characteristic of humans, such as the ability to reason, discover meaning, generalize, or learn from past experience.”
3. Professor John McCarthy who coined the term AI 1956 defined artificial intelligence as “the science and engineering of making intelligent machines”.
4. Sundar Pichai Google’s CEO defines AI as
“At its heart, AI is computer programming that learns and adapts. It can’t solve every problem, but its potential to improve our lives is profound. At Google, we use AI to make products more useful—from email that’s spam-free and easier to compose, to a digital assistant you can speak to naturally, to photos that pop the fun stuff out for you to enjoy.
AI Proving Its Mettle
– AI proved its mettle when IBM’s Deep Blue defeated World Chess Champion Gary Kasparov in the year 1997.- Analytical Excellence
– In 2011, AI showed that it had a chance of reigning supreme in the world when IBM’s Watson won the quiz show ‘Jeopardy’ by beating the champions Brad Rutter and Ken Jennings- Knowledge Excellence
– The latest AI development, a humanoid called Sophia, is a robot which can conduct human-like conversations and have human-like facial expressions- Emotional Excellence.
There are many such robots or machines propping up every now and then mimicking and even excelling in somethings human do.
We can well understand that if machines are gaining excellence in every human essence, someday they would be able to improvise, imagine, feel and so on.